1 someone who takes more time than necessary; someone who lags behind [syn: dawdler, drone, laggard, lagger]
2 an advertisement consisting of short scenes from a motion picture that will appear in the near future [syn: preview, prevue]
3 a large transport conveyance designed to be pulled by a truck or tractor
4 a wheeled vehicle that can be pulled by a car or truck and is equipped for occupancy [syn: house trailer]
- (UK): /ˈtreɪlə/, /"treIl@/
- (US): , /ˈtreɪlɚ/, /"treIl@`/
- Rhymes: -eɪlə(r)
- In the context of "Australia|US": A small vehicle, usually
open-topped, towed behind
another, and used for carrying equipment, etc, that cannot be
carried in the leading vehicle.
- At the end of the day, we put the snowmobiles back on the trailer.
- In the context of "UK": Any vehicle designed to be towed, with the exception of a caravan.
- In the context of "US": A furnished vehicle towed behind
another, and used as a dwelling when stationary.
- We drove our trailer to Yellowstone Park.
- In the context of "US": A prefabricated home that could be
towed to a new destination, but typically is permanently left in an
area designated for such homes.
- The young couple's first home was in a trailer.
- In the context of "mainly US|media": A preview of a film or TV
- The trailer for that movie makes it seem like it would be fun.
- A usually invalid value used to signal the end of a list of
data, often sorting last alphabetically ("ZZZZZ") or numerically
("99999") among all possible valid values; especially common in
cards, where the final card is called a trailer
- The linked list terminates with a trailer record.
- the last part of a packet, often containing a check
- The encapsulation layer adds an eight-byte header and a two-byte trailer to each packet.
- In Australia and the UK, trailer in the sense of "preview of a film" is gaining currency over preview due to US influence.
- (vehicle towed behind another, used for carrying equipment):
- (vehicle towed behind another, other than a caravan):
- (furnished vehicle towed behind another, used as a dwelling when stationary): camper (US), camper van, caravan (UK), mobile home
- (prefabricated home that could be towed but typically is not): mobile home
- (preview of a film): preview, teaser
- (in computing: value used to signal the end of a list of data): sentinel
- (in networking''): header
vehicle towed behind another, used for carrying equipment
- Finnish: peräkärry
any vehicle designed to be towed, with the exception of a caravan
- Finnish: perävaunu
furnished vehicle towed behind another, used as a dwelling when stationary
prefabricated home that could be towed but typically is not
- Finnish: asuntovaunu
preview of a film
- Finnish: traileri
in computing: value used to signal the end of a list of data
in networking: the last part of a packet, often containing a check sequence
A trailer may be:
- Construction trailer, temporary accommodation for offices and building materials storage on construction sites.
- Trailer (vehicle), an unpowered vehicle pulled by a powered vehicle
- Mobile home, a housing unit built in factories, rather than on site
- Portable classroom, a temporary classroom for schools with insufficient building capacity
- Trailer (film), an advertisement, usually in the form of a brief excerpt or string of excerpts, for a new film
- Teaser trailer, a truncated version of a theatrical or film trailer
- Trailer (book), a short video for marketing a book
- Trailer (information technology), data appended to a main block of data to facilitate its processing
- Trailer (album), the 1994 album from the Northern Irish musical group Ash
trailer in Danish: Trailer
trailer in German: Trailer (Begriffsklärung)
trailer in Dutch: Trailer
trailer in Japanese: トレーラー
trailer in Norwegian: Trailer
trailer in Polish: Trailer
trailer in Portuguese: Trailer
trailer in Russian: Трейлер
trailer in Simple English: Trailer
trailer in Slovak: Trailer
trailer in Swedish: Trailer
3-D, Cinemascope, Cinerama, Technicolor, Western, afterpart, afterpiece, animated cartoon, black-and-white film, camp trailer, camper, caravan, cartoon, chiller, cinema, color film, creepie, documentary, documentary film, educational film, feature, film, flick, flicker, horror picture, horse opera, house trailer, mobile home, motion picture, motion-picture show, movie, moving picture, newsreel, nudie, photodrama, photoplay, picture, picture show, pornographic film, preview, queue, semitrailer, short, silent, silent film, skin flick, sneak preview, spaghetti Western, tab, tag, tail, tailpiece, talkie, talking picture, thriller, trail, trail car, trailer camp, trailer court, trailer park, train, truck trailer, underground film, wake